Ever get that craving for a soft sweet glazed donut? Are you partial to blueberry, chocolate glazed, or cream filled? Whichever is your favorite, there’s a place in Nashville to satisfy that craving. I personally am a donut purist. I like plain glazed yeast donuts – no spinkles, frosting, or chocolate for this girl. Occasionally I’ll branch out and get an apple fritter or a sour cream donut, but I always come back to the glazed donuts I grew up on in West Virginia. In order to make this list, the donuts needed to meet the following criteria:
- They need to be soft and fresh. I hate biting into a donut that has a dry texture.
- They need to have the right amount of glaze in relation to the volume of donut. If there isn’t enough glaze, you’re left with tasteless dough.
- They can’t be too greasy. If the donuts aren’t draining properly, they can absorb too much grease which can ruin the mouth feel of the donut.
1. Sub House – 4501 Trousdale Dr. - The Subhouse is tucked into the end of a strip mall on Trousdale and is very easy to miss. I’ve passed that place a hundred time since I’ve lived in Nashville but never stopped in until a few weeks ago. The selection of donuts is small but the ones they have are fantastic. Made daily, they’re soft and fresh with an abundance of sweet glaze. They have great apple fritters too.
2. Shipley’s- Multiple locations – These are my husband’s favorite. They’re always fresh and the selection is good.
3. Fox’s Donut Den - 3900 Hillsboro Road – The Donut Den has been in Nashville for 30 years and has lost of loyal fans. They have a great selection and they’re donuts are made fresh daily.
4. Homestyle Bakery- 2709 Murfreesboro Road – Homestyle Bakery is a full service bakery with only 3 or 4 varieties of donuts and apple fritters. They were fresh and soft and not greasy as donuts can sometimes be. They’re original glazed melt in your mouth.
5. Krispy Creme- everywhere - I grudgingly put Krispy Kreme on this list because I think they’re a little over exposed. There was a time in Nashville when you couldn’t get away from Krispy Kreme donuts. Every grocery store and conveniece store in town was selling their sweets. Over exposed or not, Krispy Kreme has great donuts and have even better honey buns.