Am I the only person that grew up eating cooked to death stewed cabbage? It was one of those things I refused to eat because it smelled bad and the mushy texture didn’t work for me. A couple of years ago, I was talking to someone about cabbage and they started telling me how much they loved fried cabbage. Fried cabbage? Why hadn’t I thought of that? After a little experimenting I came up with this recipe. It’s quick, simple, and can be easily adjusted to your individual tastes. Cooking time may vary based on how thinly the cabbage is sliced. If you’re really short on time, buy the pre-shredded bagged cabbage.
Southern Fried Cabbage
- 1 small head of cabbage thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 3 pieces thick sliced hickory smoked bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper or dried pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. Heat skillet to medium heat.
- 2. Dice bacon and add to skillet.
- 3. Cook bacon until crisp and remove.
- 4. Add onions and saute in bacon grease until almost translucent.
- 5. Add cabbage and saute with onions for 8 minutes. Add bacon back to skillet with black pepper.
- 6. Add water, turn heat to low, and cover. Let cook for about 10 minutes or until cabbage is soft but not mushy.