I can’t believe a whole week slipped by me without doing a post. I kept procrastinating and before I knew it, the week was over. It’s been a hectic week and I’m happy for a day I can rest and relax. Maybe I’ll catch up on some reading. In the mean time, this is my first attempt at making banana bread and it was inspired by this recipe. I’ve never been a huge fan of banana bread but the chocolate chip streusel gives this loaf a whole different taste. Use very ripe bananas for this to get the full banana flavor. Pecans would work if you don’t have walnuts.
Banana Bread with Chocolate Chip Streusel
- 2/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 3 very ripe mashed bananas
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5-inch metal loaf pan.
- Stir chocolate chips, brown sugar, and walnuts together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Sift all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into medium bowl.
- Beat sugar, butter, and egg in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in mashed bananas and milk. Add dry ingredients and blend well.
- Spread half of batter in loaf pan. Sprinkle with half of streusel. Repeat with remaining batter and streusel.
- Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool coffee cake in pan on rack.
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12