This week I’m starting a new series called Shop Smart Spend Less. I’ll be sharing all of the tricks I’ve found for getting the most out of my monthly grocery budget. The rise in the cost of food is putting a crimp in everyone’s pocketbook these days so saving a few dollars here and there can really make a difference.
Most people that shop regularly have a favorite grocery store. Personally I’m a Publix fan so 70 percent of my heavy duty shopping is done there. I shopped at Publix for years before I started paying attention to all of the extras that they offered to help me save money. Where ever you choose to spend your grocery money, it’s important that you get to know your store. Here are 12 things you should find out about your favorite stores to get the most out of your shopping experience. Don’t worry, I’m going to go into more detail on each of these later in the series.
- Does your grocery store have a customer loyalty program? If so how do you sign up?
- What is your store’s coupon policy?
- Does your store require you to buy the specified number of items to get the sale price? Ie 10 for $10
- What special programs does your store have? Baby Club, Pet club, Catch of the Day, Fine Wine Club etc
- Does your store issue store coupons?
- How do your stores sales cycles run? Sunday through Saturday? Wednesday through Tuesday? Etc
- What do the special tags mean on certain items on the shelves?
- Does your store have a prescription transfer bonus deal?
- How do you sign up for your stores newletters, deals, and promo emails?
- Does your grocery store sell produce, meat, or diary from local providers?
- Does your store sell quality store brand products?
- Does your store sell items in bulk bins?