Banana Oatmeal Muffins + Vacation Pics
One of the few good things about having a hubby with a travel job is that occasionally, you get to tag along on a really great trip. A few weeks ago, I met him in Las Vegas and we drove down to the Grand Canyon for a few days. Even with tons of tourists, the canyon is one of the most tranquil places I’ve ever visited. It’s breathtaking (and I don’t use that term lightly). There’s something about the vastness of it that leaves you speechless.
The last time we went to the canyon it was June and HOT. Blazing hot. If you ever get to visit, April is the perfect time. It was cold in the morning and pleasantly warm in the afternoon. We stayed at the Maswick Lodge which is walking distance to the South Rim.
I’ve got other photos to share with you sometime soon. I also took a ton of video so I’m putting to get a short montage of our stops.
I’m forever searching for ways to use up overripe bananas. I think I like this recipe better than my banana bread recipe. You can substitute the raisins for chocolate chips if you need a chocolate fix. These are super moist even with any oil or butter. The flax seeds are options but they add a nice nutty texture.
Recipe: Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 egg (well beaten)
- 1 1/3 cups mashed ripe banana (2 medium bananas)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray muffins cups.
- Combine egg, banana, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, applesauce and vanilla in a bowl.
- In large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flax seeds.
- Add banana mixture and oatmeal to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in raisins. Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes for mini muffins or 15 for regular size muffins.
- Remove muffins from pan and place on a wire rack to let cool before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 30 mini muffins or 12 large muffins.