Homemade BBQ Sauce
It’s funny how when you’re a kid, you tend to not pay attention to things. I never paid attention to the fact that my mom always made her own BBQ sauce. We grilled pretty regularly during the summer and my parents had a division of labor for grilling days. Daddy was the grill master and mom did all the prep including making the sauce and seasoning the meat. I remember a big aluminum pot of tangy sauce simmering on the stove while daddy grilled the ribs. Now that she’s gone, I’m sad that I never got the recipe from her.
This is my first attempt at making BBQ sauce in years. I was trying to duplicate the sauce of a restaurant that I had loved in Charleston. They had the best BBQ sauce I’ve ever tasted – hands down. It was spicy and slightly sweet which is exactly what I like. This recipe started out as a variation of that recipe but turned into something completely different. This list of ingredients may look a little long but I wanted to include everything I added although it all probably isn’t necessary.
A few things to note:
- I used a medium sized onion and pulverized it in the food processor. I really didn’t want any chunks of onion floating in my sauce.
- Ketchup can be extremely salty so don’t add any more salt until it’s cooked down and you’ve tasted it.
- If you don’t have lemons, double up on the vinegar.
- Add liquid smoke to your taste. Everyone doesn’t like smoke in their sauce but I think it adds something.
- Cooking the sauce helps the ingredients meld together. It will taste different once its cooks a bit.
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup molasses
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Dash salt
- hot pepper flakes
- Spray a medium pot with cooking spray. Heat over medium low heat and add onions and garlic. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes until soften.
- Reduce the heat to low and add remaining ingredients.
- Allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Salt to taste.
- Add salt and pepper flakes to taste.