Turkey Burger with Feta Cheese and Grilled Onions
There’s nothing like a day off from work. I’m not talking about weekends, I’m talking about a day off during the middle of the week when everyone else is working. Occasionally I take a day or two off to handle things around the house – cooking, cleaning, errands etc. The best part of a day off is being able to cook whatever I want – especially things that hubby won’t eat. Case in point – this grilled turkey burger with a big fat slab of grilled onions. I love turkey burgers – much better than hamburgers. It doesn’t take much to make them taste great and I don’t feel like they’re clogging my arteries like a cow burger.
A Few Things To Note
- Grilling the onions makes them nice and sweet but be careful not to burn them.
- I fixed this in a grill pan on the stove but you could also do them on the grill.
- I prefer 93/7 ground turkey because it’s not as dry as 99% fat free turkey so I don’t have to worry about adding fillers to keep it moist.
- I didn’t add any salt to these because feta is really salty but feel free to salt to taste.
- Make sure to cook these all the way through. Half cooked poultry is an trip to the ER waiting to happen.
Turkey Burger with Feta Cheese and Basil Mayo
- 1½ pound ground turkey 93/7
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 1 large red onion sliced into ½ inch thick rings
- ¼ cup light mayo
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced basil
- 4 hamburger buns
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium low heat. If cooking in grill pan, spray pan with oil and add onion slices. Cover and cook for 10 minutes each side.
- Divide turkey into 4 equal balls.
- Divide each ball in half and shape into 2 flat discs. Sprinkle feta cheese in the middle of one of the discs and cover with other.
- Press the two discs together and form into a burger.
- Cook 4 minutes each side or until done through.
- Place on hamburger buns, top with onions, and spread basil mayo on top bun.