This is an easy low maintenance side dish that can be thrown together without much fuss. I used cilantro because that’s what I had on hand but flat leaf parsley or even sage would be great too. Use long cooking rice for this, not instant. The trick to cooking perfect white rice is having the correct ratio of liquid to rice (2:1). I added a little more liquid to make sure the lentils cooked completely. Don’t remove the lid once the rice has started cooking. Also don’t touch the lid for a few minutes once you’ve removed the pot from the heat. The rice and lentils will steam and absorb any remaining liquid.
½ small onion diced
1 14oz can vegetable broth
1 cup long grain white rice
½ cup dry lentils (picked and washed)
¼ cup cilantro or flat leaf parsley, diced
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup water
- Heat pot over medium heat. Add oil and diced onion. Saute onion until softened.
- Add rice to skillet and mix with onions. Add lentils.
- Add vegetable broth and ½ cup water.
- Bring to boil. Cover and turn down to a simmer
- Cook for 20 minutes. Do not remove lid during this time.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro. Serve