This week (and possibly next week too) has been deemed “Pantry Cooking Week” at my house. After my fourth trip to Publix last week, I realized that I was stockpiling food and it had to stop. Not only was I blowing my grocery budget, but I was also buying things we really didn’t need or already had. How many jars of catsup can two people eat? Looking through my pantry, I found food that I couldn’t even remember buying. When I bought new stuff, the items already in my cabinets were getting pushed to the back, never to be seen or heard from again. I couldn’t tell what I had, so I just went and bought more stuff. The goal for this week is to use up some of those items. I’m going to be working completely recipe free and see what I come up with. Stay tuned.
3 Turkey Italian Sausage Links
1/3 cup onions-diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper cut into 1 inch strips
1/2 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
4 oz jar mushrooms – drained
1 14 oz can Italian style diced tomatoes – drained.
1/4 Parmesan cheese
2 tbl olive oil
4 cups whole wheat penne
1. Slice sausage into 1/4 in rounds and saute in skillet until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
2. Add 1 tbl spoon oil to skillet. Add onions and bell peppers and saute until softened.
3. Add mushrooms and canned tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in sausage and remove from heat.
4. In large pot, boil penne according to instructions. Drain pasta and transfer to large bowl.
5. Add ricotta to hot pasta and mix well. Combine sausage mixture with pasta.
6. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve immediately.