Looking for a lighter dessert for the holidays? This recipe was adapted from Cooking Light’s Quick Baking Magazine. It yields 9 servings with 280 calories and 9 grams of fat per serving. The caramel ice cream topping gives this cake a sweet buttery flavor without adding alot of fat.
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup fat-free caramel topping
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled Yellow Delicious Apples
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350°.
1. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Drizzle caramel over bottom of pan. (Caramel will not completely cover bottom of pan.) Arrange apple slices over caramel.
2. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Combine buttermilk and baking soda in a medium bowl. Stir in applesauce and remaining ingredients.
4. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Pour batter over apple slices in prepared pan.
5. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
6. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Place a plate upside down on top of cake; invert onto plate. Serve warm.