Since I have a new found appreciation for muffins, I’ve been contemplating how I can take all of my favorite flavor combinations and put them in a muffin. Apples and cinnamon remind me of fresh baked pies with ice cream on the side so I couldn’t resist making these. They aren’t very sweet by themselves but the glaze ups the sweet factor considerably while adding a hit of spice. It can be adjusted to whatever fits your tastes – a squeeze of lemon, a dash of ginger, or a teaspoon of caramel sauce would all work. I can’t wait for summer so I can try these with some in-season peaches, blueberries, and strawberries. Yum.
Cinnamon Glazed Apple Muffin Recipe
2 Granny Smith Apples diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup applesauce
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup low milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 500ºF . Prepare 12 hole muffin tin – either spray with nonstick spray or add liners.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together brown sugar, apple sauce, sour cream, egg, vanilla, and milk.
3. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in sour cream mixture and apples. Mix just until blended.
5. Scoop batter into muffin pan. Fill about 2/3 full. Put muffins in oven and reduce heat to 375 immediately. Bake until tops are golden, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in muffin pan; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make glaze, mix together powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and warm water in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cooled muffins.