Growing up my mom made two kinds of cake – sour cream cake and lemon pound cake. She made the sour cream cake from scratch. The lemon pound cake was Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme and I thought it was the best cake in the whole world. It was her go to cake for holidays, birthdays, and any other special occasion. I didn’t taste a good “scratch” lemon pound cake until I was an adult and it blew Duncan Hines away. Once in a while, I still pull out a box of Duncan Hines but now that I have this recipe, those occasions will be few and far between. This recipe was adapted from a pound cake recipe I learned at Viking Cooking School. When done correctly, it’s rich and buttery with a soft tender crumb and it’s much more work than a box mix. The combination of lemon extract and lemon zest give it a bright lemony flavor.
Old Fashioned Mini Lemon Pound Cakes
- 3 Lg Eggs
- 3 Lg Egg Yolks
- 2 Tsps Lemon Extract
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 C Cake Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/3 C Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tsps Lemon Zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (167 degress C). Spray four 2 cup loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Mix eggs. egg yolks, vanilla and lemon extract in small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in medium bowl. Whisk flour and salt together. Set aside.
- Place butter in large mixing bowl. Beat on medium high speed speed with electric mixer for 20 seconds. Add sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy and not wet.
- Turn mixer down to medium speed and start adding flour and egg mixtures. Alternate between the egg mixture and the flour mixture. Make sure each addition is mixed in well before you add more. Be careful not to overmix or the cake will be dry. If adding in more than 2 additions, hand mix last additions. Fold in lemon zest. Batter will be thick.
- Scrape batter into pans dividing equally between the four.
- Bake until cakes are golden brown on top. 35 to 40 minutes. Check center of cakes at 35 minutes. If toothpick comes out clean, remove from oven.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes and unmold.