Streusel Topped Apple Bread Pudding

Bread pudding is one of those desserts I came to appreciate as an adult. It was thought to be the red headed step child of pie at my house so it didn’t make it to our table often. Usually it only showed up if someone gave it to us as a gift. The first really good bread pudding I had was in a cooking class 10 years ago and it blew my mind.  It was fantastic! It was a summer class so we made it with peaches and drizzled it with a bourbon sauce. That class opened my mind to how flexible and simple bread pudding can be. You really can make it with whatever fruit is in season.

This recipe is sort of a cross between an apple crisp and a bread pudding. The crumble topping gives this pudding an entirely different taste. One of the things I’ve learned about bread pudding is that the bread you use makes a difference. I used a raisin challah but there are tons of other options. For my personal tastes, I prefer a bread that’s more substantial than a regular sandwich bread- sour dough, whole wheat, even a ciabatta. I sliced the bread into roughly 1 inch cubes. For the apples I used 2 Winesaps and 1 McIntosh because that’s what I had on hand. Normally I would have used Golden Delicious. I also sliced those into large chunks because I like to bite into big chunks of apple.

This recipe was inspired by Allrecipes.com

10 Comments

1. Joii C.
    October 21, 2011

Hi Janet! This Bread Pudding looks amazing!!!! I am so happy you found my site and now, I’ve found and am following yours. Thanks for linking up at my Food Friday party. I love meeting new people. Have a great weekend and happy cooking:-)

• Carolyn
      October 21, 2011

This looks soooooooooo good. I may have to try this recipe and I love anything with apples.

Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

2. Jerri
    October 26, 2011

This looks delicious! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I’m featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you’d like one.

3. Jules
    October 26, 2011

This looks so yummy I wish I had the energy to make it now. I’m going to use the vanilla applesauce I just made along with some of the farmers’ market apples I have left to cook this dish soon. Thanks so much!

4. Vivek @ Vivek's Epicurean Adventures
    October 28, 2011

Love that picture, Janet! I’ve always been a fan of bread pudding because it’s so easy to put together – I even made one with croissants once!

• jfoster
      October 28, 2011

Thanks Vivek. I’ve been tempted to make one with Krispy Kreme donuts but I’m afraid it might be too sweet. Maybe around Christmas.

5. Rachel Lynn
    November 18, 2011

My husband loves bread pudding! I think I might try this this weekend!

BTW I have a recipe linkup at blog.thesingingsparrow.com.

6. Friday Favorites – Week 87
    May 24, 2012

[…] Streusel Topped Apple Bread Pudding from A Cook at Heart Pumpkin Spice Mousse from Olla-Podrida Thanks for stopping by for the party! Link up your posts below! Share this:FacebookPrintShareEmailDiggRedditStumbleUpon Filed Under: Uncategorized About JerriJerri is a wife who loves cooking, crafts, her cats, and anything creative. Her blog Simply Sweet Home features her latest recipes, product reviews, projects, and more! […]

7. Deborah
    May 13, 2018

Excellent!!!
    I added a little bit of rum!

• jfoster
      May 18, 2018

I’m glad you liked it. Everything is better with rum. lol