This recipe was so easy that I’m almost embarrassed to put it on this blog. I needed to use up some pinto beans I cooked a few days ago and bean dip popped into my brain. This dip is full of flavor and has loads of possible variations. Since beans are low in fat and high in fiber, this dip is a relatively healthy snack that will fill you up. If you have don’t have any leftovers, use 2 14 oz cans of well drained pinto or black beans. Definitely don’t get hung up on the quantities. Use whatever beans you have and season to taste. If you have chipotles in adobe on hand, you can substitute 1 tsp minced chipotles for the chipotle powder.
Smoky Chipotle Bean Dip
- 2 generous cups leftover pinto beans
- 2 plum tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 green onions, diced (green parts only)
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 black olives, diced (optional)
- Place beans in food processor and pulse until desired consistency. I like mine a little chunky.
- Put beans in bowl with remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese before serving if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 8