People keep telling me that beets are an acquired taste. Apparently I acquired a taste for them early in life since I’ve always liked them – even the pickled ones in the jar. I don’t however like the mess beet juice makes. Be smarter than I was the day I fixed these. Do not wear a white shirt and use food safe gloves if you have them.
This is a quick marinade to give your beets a nice tang without the trouble of pickling. I like to peel, slice, and marinate them while still warm because I think it helps them slurp up the flavors. If you have a some really good hot peppers, slice one in half and add it to the jar. These are delicious in salads with a little Gorgonzola on top.
Sweet and Sour Refrigerator Pickled Beets
- 5 medium beets
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 smashed garlic clove (optional)
- Wash beets thoroughly
- Wrap beets in foil and bake until you can stick a knife through beets with very little resistance, about 1hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Peel beets and cut into slices or cubes.
- Put beets (and garlic if using) in a stain proof container. I like glass jars for this.
- Mix sugar and vinegar together until sugar has dissolved. Add salt if using.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the beets and store in refrigerator for at least an hour or up to 5 days.